Making your own recycled paper is easy! Follow the steps below to make paper for cards and notes. For even more fun, add wildflower seeds to your mix for plantable paper.
- Picture frame - 5x7 for note card, 8x10 for letter
- Mesh screening
- Glue or staples
- Shredded paper from recycle bin
- Blender or potato masher
- Flower seeds (optional)
- Remove glass from picture frame. Cut mesh screening to fit inside frame. Glue or staple screen inside back of the frame.
- Add shredded or torn paper and water into blender or bowl. Mash or blend water and paper until thick mush. Add just enough water to breakdown paper, too much water will increase drying time.
- If you are adding flower seeds, add a handful of seeds to the mixture and stir to combine (do not blend with blender).
- Take a small amount of the mixture and place on mesh in the frame. Press mixture into mesh until it is completely covered.
- Use small sponge to press as much water out of the paper as possible. Placing frame on towel will help absorb excess water and help with mess.
- Carefully flip paper out of frame onto drying surface and allow it to dry fully.
Making paint is quick and easy with just a couple of ingredients. Follow the steps below and start a fun art project!
- Food coloring
- Place 1 cup of flour into a bowl or cup
- Slowly add in about 1 cup of water (add more or less depending on desired consistency)
- Add 5-10 drops of food coloring to get ideal color. For white paint, no coloring needed
- Repeat to make more colors
* Note: leftover paint should be refrigerated or it will spoil.
PBS Kids: https://pbskids.org/
FDEP Kid Zone: https://floridadep.gov/kidzone
AWWA Drop Savers: www.fsawwa.org/dropsavers