Many Oldsmar residents venture out onto the Oldsmar Trail on their bicycles. Some riders venture into the roadway. By law, they are vehicles with the same rules and responsibilities as motorized vehicles. To help decrease your risk of a crash and for your ride to be pleasant, here are a few tips before heading out.
- Ride a bike that fits you - if it's too big, it's harder to control.
- Ride a bike that works - pay special attention to brakes and reflectors.
- Plan your route - choose routes with less traffic and slower speeds.
- Wear the gear - protect yourself with a proper fitted helmet, bright clothing/reflective gear, tuck pant legs and tie shoelaces.
- Drive defensively - obey street signs, signals, and road markings.
- Be alert - don't text, listen to music, or be distracted from keeping your eyes and ears open.