An icon when constructed in 1919 in the town that Ransom E. Olds (of Oldsmobile fame) founded, the Oldsmar Bank building was a focal point for residents where business was conducted, meetings were held, and futures were influenced. The historic Oldsmar Bank building has a new lease on life after having been restored, partially reconstructed, and re-opened September 7, 2011. It stands in tribute to pride, perseverance, and preservation.
About the Restoration Project
A challenge of restoration was to bring the 3 architectural periods of the building together into a harmonious whole. Oldsmar's Historic Bank Building has a new west facade of contemporary design characterized by a curved wall, a large window etched with the city's seal, and glass entry doors under a 2-story canopy. A tall brick column replicates details from the historic State Street facade. Natural light streams from expansive windows lighting the lobby where a monumental staircase leads to the city's Council Chamber, a work session room, and storage rooms on the 2nd floor. Council Chamber's décor is eclectic-1920s with traditional dark stained wood accent moldings, pendant lights, and white painted trim throughout. The Historical Oldsmar Bank project is registered with the U.S. Green Building Council for Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) certification.
The Historical Oldsmar Bank Building, located at 101 State Street West, houses the City Council Chamber, Oldsmar Historical Society, Upper Tampa Bay Chamber of Commerce, and Oldsmar's Community Policing Office. History repeats itself. Once again, Oldsmar Bank building is the downtown center for conducting business, holding meetings, and influencing the future.